Thursday, November 5, 2009

Plush Irradiated Sirloin


Plush Irradiated Sirloin
Microcontroller night light illuminates meaty issues
Rebecca Stern | Make Vol. 11- 2007 | Pdf | 2 pgs | 1 mb
Faced with an assignment to make a plush night
light. I thought, "Why light?" and brainstormed
reasons for a stuffed toy to light up. In a glowworm
toy, for instance, the light mimics nature. I'd been
reading Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma,
and this got me thinking about the chain of refrig-
eration, labor, and irradiation involved in American
beef production. So I thought. glowing irradiated
meat! I know that irradiated meat doesn't glow, and
neither does toxic waste unless it's in a cartoon, but
plush toys typically represent cartoon characters
anyway, so it made sense: Plush Irradiated Sirloin.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment